Thursday, November 29, 2012

Response to "War on Men"

(I am going to try to keep this post reasonable and civil.  I can't guarantee anything though.)

Before going on, read this.

There is one thing I completely agree with in this article:  the battle of the sexes is alive and well.  But it's not the fault of women as Suzanne Venker would like to say.  It's not the fault of men either.  Saying one sex is more at fault, or that there is even fault to be applied, is not helping the situation.

There is a subculture of both men and women who don't want to get married.  I used to be part of that subculture.  Up until recently, I could never imagine getting married.  I could imagine committing and spending my life with one man, but not in some ceremony that costs thousands of dollars that I didn't want to do and then when it doesn't work out, have to go through the lengthy and also expensive process of divorce.  While I'm open to the idea of marriage more today, there are definitely times when I think I would rather opt for something different.

I would imagine this movement of anti-marriage is more because of our generation.  We're more focused on school and work and want to continue to focus on different things than marrying.  It's not as much of a social pressure either.  My parents, along with many others, would be perfectly content if I found that person that I wanted to spend the rest of my life with, but never officially got married.  I know there are plenty who still pressure their kids into getting married, but, at least from personal experience, it's a dying trend.

I don't know what type of men Venker has been talking to.  But the type that don't want to get married because "women aren't women anymore" are not the type of man women want to marry.  I'm not surprised she's found an entire subculture of men who don't want to get married if they think like that.  They couldn't get married if they tried (well they probably could, but you know what I mean).

Think about that phrase for a second.  "Women aren't women anymore."  I'm taking a stab in the dark here, but do they think that because women don't want to be stuck at home with screaming kids anymore, they want to bring home money and contribute to society.  Women are moving away from the traditional feminine view, opting for a more independent, self-sufficient lifestyle.  We're strong.  We always have been.  And there's a problem with us showing it, according to Venker.  How is that reasonable?

There was a revolution to change the way women were being treated because they weren't being treated equally.  It was a time when they couldn't vote, didn't get paid anywhere near the amount men did (if their husbands would even allow them to work).  It was a time when this article that Venker wrote, a woman wrote, would have to been published under a man's name if it even got published at all.

I'll give you that women may be angry, but that's because we have a valid reason for being angry.  In a world where I can fly from Madison to San Fransisco in four hours, everyone has a computer in their pocket and you can have the internet without plugging a cord into your computer, women still aren't equal.  We've definitely made progress.  But we're still expected to do the traditionally feminist roles in a family (which is a completely different problem I recently wrote a five page paper about so it's a little much to discuss here), we're not paid the same wages as men (seventy-seven cents to the male dollar to be exact).

Men are not the enemy.  We are not waging a war against men, we're waging a war against inequality.  Societal standards for women AND men are the problem.  The fact women are raised to be soft-spoken and delicate and men need to be strong and unemotional is the problem.  The problem, put simply, is the existence of gender standards in society.  There is something fundamentally wrong with society's standards, not with men themselves.  If we're not happy, it's a combination of those standards and how we're being treated by men because of them.  This is what we are working to change.  We're coming out, showing we're strong because we want to change the standards of femininity and, through education, changing the way men interact with us.

What if I want more in my life than just "men [wanting] to love [me]?"  What if I want to help them provide for and protect a family.  It may be in their DNA but, guess what, it's in women's DNA too.  We'll let them provide for and protect a family as long as we can have an equal say and have equal pay.  Women are tired too.  I'm tired of people thinking I'm a lesbian, calling me a dyke (it's happened before), because I'm not dainty and delicate.  I'm strong and independent and that throws a lot of guys off.

Don't even get me started on the sentence "Feminism serves men very well: they can have sex at hello and even live with their girlfriends with no responsibilities whatsoever."  Feminism may have helped eradicate the sexual oppression of women (but not completely, even men are sexually oppressed in society.  I blame religion but that's a different blog post), but that doesn't mean we go around having one night stands and never hold our boyfriends responsible for anything.  I'll hold my boyfriend responsible when he's not pulling his weight in the relationship.  I like having steady relationships instead of just sleeping around.  Implying that women would prefer sex at hello and pull all the weight in a relationship is probably the stupidest thing I've ever read.

Women do not need men's linear career goals.  WE DON'T NEED THEM TO PICK UP THE SLACK AT THE OFFICE.  I can't believe she even was saying that seriously.  She has to be joking right?  I am completely certain I could have an office of all women and it wouldn't fall apart.  You know why?  Because women are stronger today.  We're independent.  I am more often proud of my female friends than my male friends because of how ridiculously strong they are.  My best friend has had a lot of health problems lately, but she doesn't break down and cry.  She doesn't sit in her house and feel sorry for herself.  She goes out!  She parties with me.  She goes to hockey games (she'd be my vice-president of this all-girl office).  She is one of the strongest people I know.  My mom is also one of the strongest people I know.  She's been through cancer, jaw issues, money problems, severe depression, gallbladder removal, and still she carries on, not feeling sorry for herself.  She wakes up everyday and goes to work (except Fridays of course because she's smart and asked for Fridays off).  She was back at work a week after she had her gallbladder out.  She is and always has been one of the strongest people I know.

We do not NEED men.  They're a bonus, don't get me wrong.  Sex is great and having someone there for you, and being able to be there for someone, is a great feeling.  But I have absolutely no doubt that if they weren't around, we'd be fine.  The world wouldn't fall apart.  We can live a balanced life by ourselves if we so choose.

I would rather go the rest of my life alone, never getting married, than "surrender to my nature" that Venker seems to think is my femininity.  My nature, woman's nature, is to be fucking strong.  It's not to be considered less than a man.  It's not to just give in to being unequal.  It's definitely not subscribing to societal gender norms that are not correct.

So to my fellow women: keep being strong because you're the way we'll change society.

Sydnie

2 comments:

JCP said...

Ms. Venker says, “As the author of three books on the American family and its intersection with pop culture, I’ve spent thirteen years examining social agendas as they pertain to sex, parenting, and gender roles.” To which I say “well, then, you ought to know better by now!” Creating or subscribing to a single identity for an entire sex is an amateur move and one of the most prevalent and offensive examples of stereotyping I’ve ever heard.

The entire article, as you pointed out, is offensive, to any person of either sex who might read it.

What bothers me most, though, is not the article, but the reason for it. Such a big deal is made of and so many conversations are had about marriage, whether it be gay, straight, human-canine, human-appliance, or what have you. Eevery comedian has fifty jokes about marriage ready for you consumption. What nobody ever talks about, and what I hope more people start realizing, is how marriage is not the important bit. Love is the important bit; marriage is just paperwork.

Marriage is a business arrangement by which two business partners agree to share certain legal rights: making medical decisions for one another in emergency cases, bits about health and life insurance, loans, taxes, I'm putting myself to sleep thinking about it. Bottom line: Small stuff. I'm not saying that the small stuff is not important, I'm saying that regardless of importance, the small stuff is still small.

Marriage (legalizing your romantic relationship) should not be a big decision. It should not be seen as the next necessary step after falling in love. Legalizing your relationship should be a small and entirely optional step in an already well-established romantic relationship. And for anyone who feels that marriage adds a degree of fidelity and permanence to a relationship, I think that our country's 50% divorce rate ought to be enough to rebut that.

Love matters. Knowing that you will be there for each other for as long as your love remains romantic, simultaneous, and reciprocal matters. Making sure the government knows it too is certainly a good idea, but not one deserving of the amount of airtime we give it.

CPauer said...

2 comments:
There are a disturbing number of conclusions in this article without supporting facts, so I think getting up in arms about it is playing to what she was trying to achieve.

Also, you know me and I am not sexist. One additional data point: when I worked in technical training, they did a study of the comparative income of men and women, made less...until you adjusted for years of service, then they were exactly equal, so watch it with that stat.